Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Market Matters

Saturday at the Farmer's Market went swimmingly well ... it seemed that way, perhaps, because of the weather, but nevertheless was a fun day. Rather than set up our less-than-waterproof canopy in the pending rain, I chose to take my shade umbrella from my home barbecue. A wiser fellow might have chosen a raincoat over a hoodie, but as I enjoy rainy weather I did not suffer lasting adverse affects.

Going to the Market is a good time, largely because of the opportunity to meet so many people. I distributed '$1 Off for All Adults in Party' coupons, which is an easy way to make contact with complete strangers. All in all, I gave away 233 coupons and spoke to more than 600 people.
As this was a 'wine weekend,' one could expect to meet people from near and far and that was the case: Portland, Vancouver, WA & Vancouver, B.C., Tacoma, Yakima, Puget Sound region ... as well as loads of my neighbors and soon-to-be friends. I did miss seeing my ol' pal Deeson ... he's moved away. He was one of the many kids who stop by to try the cup-and-ball game, to spin the top or fathom out the 'Jacob's Ladder.' I like to tell the kids that these were the 'Game Boys' of the 1880s.


The Market is also interesting because of the neighborliness of the vendors. People are forever offering help with setting up, schlepping merchandise from car to canopy, and politiely asking if what they intend to do in their space will impact what the neighbors have in mind with theirs. It was good to see so many of the 'old faithful' in place and heartening to see so many new vendors. There was a surprising amount of early season vegetation for sale ... I like that especially because it represents the legacy of the past for me. It used to be farmstands in the countryside, where the farm wife and farm kids would tend enourmous vegetable gardens, then sell the excess to their city cousins out for a jaunt in the country.


The music was great, the neighbors wonderful and the people I met were gracious and interested in the Museum. As noon rolled around, I got hungry, so had my choice between bbq, Italian fare, omelets, sweet onion sausages, gyros, and many other delectables. As you can see, I'm looking forward to next Saturday, as well. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment