Friday, July 3, 2009

Building a Better Museum











There's a wonderful line in the movie Dances With Wolves, wherein
'Timmons,' the decidedly foul muleskinner, comes across the remains of a woman apparently killed by a war party. All we see is part of a skeleton and the feathers of an arrow. Timmons remarks, "I bet somebody back east is saying, 'Now why don't she write?!'" If you're wondering where I haven't written all this week, well, I was too busy for words ... literally!

Progress on the new Entrance building is apparent. As we are trying to go as 'green' as possible with the construction, you may notice that the new siding is Hardiplank ... fire resistant as well as great insulating value. As you can see in the photos, we are going with a fairly narrow style of siding, in keeping with that used 'back in the day.'

You can also see the beginnings of tarpaper on the roof ... that means there is a layer of strand board, a layer of insulating material, more strand board, the tarpaper, and eventually the shingles. Ain't nothin' gettin' through that roof ... nor will heat escape in winter. Should keep things from heating up too much in summer, as well.

No good photo of it, but the parking lot is rolled smooth as glass and ready for paving ... that will be an interesting improvement, parking right by the entrance! I made up for that lack by including the guy with the best hard hat. Who knew there were design elements in the world of helmet decorations?

The Museum will be open this weekend, though I'll be at the Farmer's Market on Saturday and James, our Director, (with volunteers Rod & Lois) will be at 4th of July in the Park (Pioneer Park) that same day. Don will be on the grounds making sure all runs smoothly this weekend, including Sunday's great Living History program featuring Shady Lawn Antiques proprietors Dave & Jill Emigh as pioneeer brewmasters John & Catherine Stahl.

Stop by and say hello!

1 comment:

  1. I love the hat. :) And I'm so excited about all of this improvement going on at FWW. And you're being environmentally conscious while building? That's phenomenal. I'm just so impressed. And I keep sneaking a peek when I drive by on Myra...it's looking good, but I dare say I'd have a better look if I actually stopped by. Perhaps one of these days...

    ReplyDelete