Monday, March 9, 2009

Hob-nobbing with My Fellow Museumistas




This may be the coolest job ever ... I know it's the coolest job I've ever had. I get to meet all kinds of people from all over the world, spend a lot of my time writing about things I know and care about, and put almost everything I've ever learned and done to use at a worthy enterprise.

Last year at this time I had a hand in organizing the regional museums into what hs become known as "The Blue Mountain and Columbia Basin Museum Cooperative." We exist to cross-promote one another, back-up a sister institute in the event of an emergency, and generally serve as a source of information. Hangin' out with my peers is especially cool because they are so interesting. We run new ideas past each other, communicate about big ideas and small, proof each other's work ... on and on and on. Not long ago, I referred one member seeking information about the 'Blalock Flume' (that's him in the photo) to another I knew had that information.

There are all kinds of organziations in the co-op: not-for-profits, house museums, a tribal cultural insititute, a for-profit tour company organizations with no place (yet) and a place with no organization (anymore) ... take your pick, there are 20-something of us. You can download our brochure from Fort Walla Walla Museum's web site: http://www.fortwallawallamuseum.org/area_museums.htm just scroll to the bottom of the page. The map side of the brochure is posted here for you to see.

Do you recall the scene in The Wizard of Oz near the end when the Wizard is about to leave Oz in his "Omaha State Fair" hot air balloon? He tells the denizens of the Emerald City that he's going off to "hob nob with my flellow wizards." I feel like that today ... our biennial meeting is being held today at the Franklin County Hisotrical Society Museum in the Tri-Cities. I'll be rubbing elbows with some of the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment